We’re switching gears a bit today and going for an easy chat. Aspect Legal’s very own Joanna Oakey and Grace Yi have a coffee chat about a recent intellectual property case between Warner Bros. and a Melbourne Pub. What was the strife all about? How did it start? How is this relevant to you as a business? Well, all of that will be answered so sit back, relax, enjoy a butter beer or two and don’t miss out on this episode!
- The Warner Bros. and Melbourne Pub strife
- Why trademark protection is vital
- A Melbourne Pub’s obvious references
- The Pub’s attempt to separate themselves from Warner Bros.
- Action steps done after receiving the cease and desist
- Minimizing the risks in a legal perspective
- Take away points
Today we have a bit of an interesting topic for you. We have brought back the fabulous Grace Yi, who is our Trademark specialist in Aspect Legal. We talk all about a recent intellectual property case between Warner Bros. and a Melbourne Pub.
Warner Brothers owns many trademarks to their rights in the Harry Potter world. This isn’t limited to the title of the books. They also own trademarks for all the main characters, all the minor characters, names to unique objects and even unique places in the Harry Potter universe. So you can imagine how they must have felt when an Australian pub cashed in on the Harry Potter theme without permission.
If you are a business and you are thinking of clever new ways to market yourself, it is important to think very carefully before doing anything that might infringe on someone else’s IP especially the IP of bigger players with deep pockets. It’s just not worth the risk of being sued and potentially being made accountable for your account of profits made from the infringing activities.
You have to get your trademarks protected and registered because that process will protect you and ensure that you’re not infringing on somebody else’s mark as well.
Listen to other episodes with Grace:
- Trademarks 101 – the basics of business
- Answering common questions about trademarks
- Common Mistakes People Make in the area of trademarks
- Help! I think I have a descriptive trademark!
- The essential legal considerations in branding and brand development
- How to Create Branding that can be Protected
- The Ins and Outs of the Trademark Process
- Quick Tips WARNING for anyone registering business names and companies
- Spam and Scams with Trademarks and Domain Names
- How to stop competitors from using and abusing your trademarks
- Names, Fame and Trademarks
- Big Pac versus Big Mac: How close is too close in trademarks?
- Trademarks in China
- Managing Your TM Portfolio
Are you enjoying the podcast? Listen to the episode here and leave us a review:
Our General Legal Services
Are you looking for a top quality legal team to assist you in your organisation?
Aspect Legal is an innovative commercial legal practice that specialises in providing fast and professional services for their clients. Our commercial legal services cover a wide spectrum of disciplines – contract law, dispute resolution, business sales and acquisitions, brand protection and IP.
We work with clients both large and small, and we’re all about helping you grow while protecting you from the unexpected storms of business. If you’d like to chat about how we might be able to assist you, simply head over to our website at aspectlegal.com.au to book in time for a free discussion with one of our lawyers. So get in touch today!
Disclaimer: The material contained on this website is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not depend upon any information appearing on this website without seeking legal advice. We do not guarantee that the contents of this website will be accurate, complete or up-to-date. Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.