Types of personal information we collect and hold
“Personal information” is information or an opinion about you or which is reasonably identifiable as you, whether or not the information or opinion is true and whether or not the information is recorded in a material form.
The types of personal information that we collect includes:
- name, name of organisation, occupation / position title, date of birth, email address, telephone number, other contact details, and
- any other personal information that you may provide to us.
How we collect and hold personal information
In general, we do not collect your personal information, unless you provide it to us voluntarily and knowingly during your dealings with us, including:
- when you become a client and you forward your details to us by email
- submitting your details to us via the Website
- personal contact with us at a face-to-face meeting or at an event
- when you register with us to receive our newsletters or other publications, or information about Aspect Legal’s services (and related information) that may be of interest to you
- when you register with us to attend a webinar or seminar, or other event that we host or organise, and
- mail, email or telephone when you communicate with us.
Aspect Legal is committed to protecting the personal information we collect and hold from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We use a variety of industry-standard security technologies and procedures to help protect your personal information. However, no security system is impenetrable and no company, including us, can fully eliminate security risks associated wth personal information or electronic databases.
Purpose for which we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information
We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information only for the purpose for which you provide it to us. We will not use or disclose your personal information for any secondary purpose, unless you consent to that use or disclosure; or you would reasonably expect the use or disclosure in the circumstances, and that secondary purpose is related to the primary purpose for which we have collected that information.
In general, your personal information is used for the following purposes by us:
- to enable us to contact and communicate with you regarding a service of Aspect Legal
- to enable us to fulfil your requests for our services
- to respond to and resolve any query or complaint
- to provide you with legal updates, our publications and other communications
- to meet our legal or other regulatory obligations or required or authorised by a court/tribunal order
- to audit and manage the use of our Website
- for internal administration, research, evaluation and development, and quality control purposes
- to offer you additional information, opportunities and promotions from us from time to time
- to process applications for employment
We may disclose your personal information to:
- third party service providers, contractors or affiliates within or outside of Australia who work on behalf of or with us to provide some of our administrative, marketing and other services)
- any third parties that we engage on your behalf or which are engaged directly by you in relation to the services that we provide to you, including barristers, accountants, consultants and advisors
- enforcement or regulatory authorities within and outside of Australia, if required by law
- any legal industry regulatory body, and
- any other organisation or individual for any authorised purpose with your express consent.
Access to and correction of personal information
You may request access to or correction of your personal information if you believe for any reason that the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate or incomplete. You can request access to or correction of your personal information by sending an email to our Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or on (02) 8006 0830.
Complaints about a breach
If you have any concerns in relation to your privacy in your dealings with us you should direct your concerns to our Privacy Officer at email@example.com or on (02) 8006 0830. We will review your complaint, undertake an internal investigation and take steps to resolve your complaint.
Policy last updated July 2015.